Today I am going to show you how to make Paula Deen’s meatloaf. If you have been cooking with Paula as long as I have you will know just how fantastic her recipes are and this meatloaf with a gravy sauce is no exception.
I must admit I don’t know what all the fuss about Paula’s comments were recently. In my eyes she is a great cook and a great American. Personally I think her cooking speaks for itself.
Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions you may or may not wish to implement yourself but basically this is a damn good meatloaf just how it is. Firstly, you can lightly brown the onions before adding them to the mix. Secondly, you may also wish to add some chopped green onions and a green bell pepper too. You can never have enough sauce for a meatloaf so multiply the sauce ingredients accordingly and make sure you have plenty.
Even as the recipe stands the list of ingredients is pretty basic but trust me you will not be disappointed by this magnificent meatloaf.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5×9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
- Serve on a bed of mashed potato.