Barberton Fried Chicken – Secret Recipe!
Picture succulent pieces of chicken, deep fried in a delicately spiced blend of herbs and spices. Crisp and golden on the outside, juicy and tender within, it’s the perfect accompaniment to a lazy evening with friends or family. It’s Barberton Fried Chicken, one of South Africa’s most famous dishes and according to food aficionados, the best tasting fried chicken in the world.
Originating in Barberton, South Africa, this chicken dish has become legendary for its unique blend of flavors. Using a recipe passed down through generations, locals combine herbs and spices to create a unique flavor. Further down the generations, the recipe was modified to use a lager beer to marinate the chicken, adding an aromatic level of flavor you won’t find anywhere else.
•2 cloves garlic
•2 tablespoons paprika
•1 tablespoon thyme
•1 teaspoon black pepper
•1 teaspoon nutmeg
•1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
•2 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs; sage, rosemary, or thyme
•1 teaspoon salt
•1/4 cup lager beer
•Vegetable oil for frying
1. Cut the chicken into small pieces and place in a shallow container.
2. Mince the garlic and add to the chicken along with the remaining ingredients, except the lager beer. Mix everything together to make a paste.
3. Add the lager beer to the paste then mix until a marinade forms.
4. Place the marinated chicken in the fridge and let it sit for at least one hour.
5. Heat a pan of vegetable oil over medium-high heat until hot.
6. Add the pieces of marinated chicken to the oil and fry for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip occasionally until golden-brown.
7. Drain on paper towels and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Barberton Fried Chicken is also a snap to make, requiring only simple and easy to find ingredients and some little bit of love and care. The combination of spices and herbs to create the ultimate flavor gives it an unparalleled depth of taste that you won’t find anywhere else. And the addition of lager beer to the marinade is the secret to its unique flavor, so be sure to not skip this step for maximum taste sensation.
Give this recipe a try for your next dinner gathering and your guests will be sure to be pleased with the out-of-this-world flavor and texture of this South African classic. Barberton Fried Chicken is sure to take your taste buds on a scrumptious journey.