- 5 1/4 ounces cake flour by weight (21 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces sugar, divided (10 tbsp + 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar large eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place paper cupcake liners into muffin tins and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Place the egg yolks and 10tbsp of the sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk on high for 1.5-2 minutes (until the mixture becomes pale yellow and ‘ribbons’ when lifted from the bowl.)
- Add the water, vegetable oil and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add the dry goods and whisk just to combine.
- Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl while you whisk the egg whites.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into a CLEAN bowl and whisk on high using your whisk attachment, waiting for it to become foamy.
- Decrease the speed to low and gradually add the remaining 2tbsp of sugar.
- Increase speed to high and continue whisking until stiff peaks form, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer 1/3 of the egg whites to the batter and whisk until well combined.
- Add the remaining egg whites and fold in gently.
- Transfer batter into prepared muffin tins, evenly dividing the batter between the cups.
- Place muffin tins on the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and allow to cool before frosting.