This is an easy yet authentic recipe for Indian tandoori chicken that is a wonderful tasty meal everyone will enjoy. If you have kids you may want to leave out the cayenne pepper and use boneless chicken thighs with the skin removed but other than that it this is a very kid friendly chicken recipe. The kids will love the beautiful red color too! In pursuit of living as healthy as possible I suggest non fat plain yoghurt and to serve this dish with some beautiful green vegetables. broccoli with a little squeezed lemon juice goes especially well with this chicken. If you have limited time you can actually skip the marinating process but you really want to marinate your chicken for as long as you possible can for the most flavor. Ideally you want to marinate it overnight. If you want the full Indian experience google ‘Kulfi’ which is a traditional Indian ice cream and a great way to end your dinner. Serve this tandoori chicken with some basmati or jasmine rice and hey presto one very healthy meal.
- 2 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Remove skin from chicken pieces, and cut slits into them lengthwise.
- Place in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and lemon juice. Set aside 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix until smooth. Stir in yellow and red food coloring. Spread yogurt mixture over chicken.
- Cover, and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours (the longer the better).
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat, and lightly oil grate.
- Cook chicken on grill until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges.