This satisfies ALL my requirements for a “great” recipe! Get a load of this, and I am not exaggerating: it’s quick and easy, inexpensive, attractive to look at, delicious, and very very healthy. It travels AND refrigerates well and it can be eaten hot or cold. What else is there to say? I like to double the batch and bring it to work all week for lunch.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, and sauté until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth.
- Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
- Mix in the black beans and cilantro.